2.5

Repeated carburetor problems on string trimmer and blower. They start but don't run with power, or don't start at all.

Each failure requires a costly carb replacement. I always used Stihl oil, and last year started using the ethanol free 50:1 pre-mix. It doesn't matter. The carbs still stop working.

Stihl has all kinds of warnings about gas, including that you should only mix three day's worth!, so they can claim it is the consumer's fault if their recommendations are not followed. But my inexpensive Poulan chainsaw just does not have the same kind of issues. I paid much more for Stihl. What a mistake.

Maybe Stihl should build a product that works with the gasoline consumers can actually buy. Other manufacturers do.

Product or Service Mentioned: Stihl Fs 55 Rc-e Hedge Trimmer.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Quality.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from May 15, 2017.

Comments

I call b*llsh*t on that complaint. I keep reading about carbs being the STIHL "issue".

Funny thing is ALL power equipment sold today uses one of "TWO" carb manufacturers. ZAMA or Walbro. (Tillotsen is out of biz). So changing brands makes ZERO difference if your issue is truly carbs.

The main issue today is gas. Ethanol eats rubber and for every 1% of ethanol your unit runs 10 degrees hotter. So 10% ethanol translates to a 100 degree increase in operating temp. (a saw killer).

Add in a dull chain being forced to cut which creates even more heat or using any equipment under a heavy load. I use 100% non-ethanol fuel. After 3 months even that is starting to turn to laquer (gas ain't what it used to be) so after 3 months I dump it and add fresh (as in new - not yr old gas from a can) AND every 30 days or so I fire up my units to purge the carb with some new fuel from the tank as small quantities go bad faster than the larger tank. My units start when I need them and last 10 yrs before needing a carb kit.

Sit on your {{Redacted}} and let your saw sit for months with old fuel and be ready to pay for repair and/or new carb. Not rocket science.40+ yr saw tech