1.2
Turnaround Time

I bought my new MS271 Farm Boss in March 2016. I only used it for that one afternoon and the saw quit on me.

I took it into the dealer for repairs and they told me the same thing, I ran it too long w/ the chain brake on. I told them I had a much older Stihl Wood Boss and it would never allow me to rev up the engine and override the chain brake. I had a long running dispute going on w/ the dealer about the repairs. I had them repair it and it cost me $131!

So, I used it for about 1 week and then it totally quit on me again, chain is locked. That was in April 2016 and I've never taken it back. My concern is the next repairs will be almost as costly and approach what I paid for the chainsaw. So, I have never taken it back in again for repairs so it's just taking up space in my garage!!!

I finally contacted Stihl in Jun 2017 and the guy who replied to my complain tried to 'educate' on the difference between a clutch and chain brake.

Again, I told him the chain brake never failed me on my older Wood Boss and this seems to go in one ear and out the other. They never address why it was working on my Wood Boss and failed on the newer Farm Boss.

Product or Service Mentioned: Stihl Ms 271 Farm Boss Chainsaw.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I didn't like: Servic quality willing to back their product.

Comments

I have owned chainsaws since the mid 1970's. Run Homelite, Poulan, Husqvarna and Stihl.

The MS271 Farm Boss is the worst saw I have ever run. Boggs down easy, hard to crank. After less than 10 hours of use, dealer said it needed a new carb. Since I was out of warranty, he wanted $108 for the carb plus labor.

The saw cost $389 plus tax. The cost of that carb is ridiculous.

I checked with some other sources and they weren't any better. I will probably never buy another Stihl saw.

Pretty simple. Chain brakes are NOT parking brakes.

They reduce kickback injuries in case of kick back. PERIOD. If the saw is properly tuned the chain will NOT turn at idle so there is no reason to have the brake on. What likely happened is you started the saw in the "throttle lock" postion (which is appx 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to make it easier to start) and then NEGLECTED to kick it down to idle which disengages the clutch and left the brake on while you walked away and did something.

What did this do. Caused the clutch to try and turn a clutch drum at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle while being braked creating enough heat to melt parts. No more complicated than putting your car in PARK and holding your foot on the throttle. DUH.

Damage is going to occur.

NOT a warranty issue. Some people are just not smart enough to even be attempting to run a chainsaw.40+ yr Silver Certified STIHL tech.

I am having the exact same issue with my Stihl dealer with my 2017 MS271 Farm Boss. I started the chainsaw, let it warm up while I walked back to the garage to get my gloves.

Less than 10 minutes and motor is gone.

Telling me the same story. Ran too long with the chain brake on.

to Anonymous #1513202

With chain brake on, the chain should never turn, it’s a design flaw .