2.3K views

I recently bought a new Stihl chain saw after damaging my old one (totally my fault.)I had my old one for 8 years and had no trouble at all. The new has a "toolless" caps on the gas and oil tanks which fold out for easy opening.

On the back side there are "knobs" which fit into 2 grooves if the cap is seated properly. No problem with the gas cap but the oil cap refuses to go into place.

The first time I put oil in it took about 20 minutes to get the cap on.

I am adding oil for the second time. I have spent 30 minutes and cannot get the cap to go into place.

I thought I would use the caps from my old saw but of course they are different sizes.

Review about: Stihl Chainsaw.

Comments

Necedah, Wisconsin, United States #1183407

the only time i had trouble with the oil cap was when i filled the oil reserve too full and could not get it to close,after i spilled some of the oil out it went right in place.

I had the same problem refitting the oil cap on my MS 360. I phoned the serviceman and he said that I needed a new cap.

But, in checking back a couple years on this list I found the answer. The upper and lower portions of the cap had become out of sync. The answer is to hold the lower part of the cap while you turn the upper part counterclockwise until it clicks back into place. Then the problem is solved.

Don't be led to buy a new cap.

The fix is easy. Too bad it's needed at all.

The so called quick fit Stihl oil and gas caps suck. Fiddly and hard to use.

Give me a cheap chainsaw threaded cap any time. At least I know that they are fitting and won't leak or fall out.

Lower Saxony, Germany #941327

From Germany, I had this problem, you would think it is a one handed operation using the handle,not so!

Place the cap in the correct position lining up the tabs on the cap and tank, then press down with your left index finger, twist handle, voila! ..until I found this I was headed for the asylum!

Rochester, Minnesota, United States #698215

I agree with the irritated customer, the oil cap is nearly impossible to get on. I lose my religion every time I have to put it back on. If it took him only 20 minutes to put it on, he's doing good.

I have a stihl MS 250 from day one I have struggled to fit the oil cap like other people it drives me to distraction. I have a stihl hedgetrimer 30 years old and is as good as new.

I am so disapointed with this chainsaw i know its a minor problem but frustrating beyond belief. As I have moved countrys stihl don't want to know !

to mike thompstone staffordshire #646341

James is spot on. If you hold the bottom of the cap and turn the top counterclockwise it will click and unlock.

Then line it up correctly and it will tighten down.

Weird design but easy once you have the correct way to fix it. Thanks James

:sigh

Mikenh

Thanks to s james (post 7) I was able to get the oil cap on by rotating the top counterclockwise. The local dealer didn't know what was wrong and didn't have a new one in stock. If you don't like your MS250 you should try my MS210, it never should have been made with so little power.

to Mikenh #1095702

I have a ms260 pro. And have the same bar oil cap prob. It's not working at all this sucks.

I have the same problem with the gas cap on my new Stihl MS311. Sometimes have to fiddle with it forever and not fun when you are trying to get work done.

If I don't check it carefully after I refuel I get gas coming out and on my leg. Poor design and way below Stihl's reputation for quality products.

They should do something quickly to fix this bad design. Old ones were trouble free

bought a new ms250 having to have replace bar studs after just a couple of months have used saws forover 30 years and never have had this promblem if anyone else has had this problemplease let us know

Same problem here in UK with my MS250C. It was OK to start with but it's gradually got worse.

The past few times I have struggled and eventually it pops into place but as of today I have spent over an hour and still (Stihl!!) will not seat properly.

I despair, I have other Stihl products - hedgetimmer and brush cutter with no problems. Stihl have a great reputation with professional chainsaw users - why can't they sort this out?

Same problem with my Stihl chainsaw. Wise to the alignment issue so it's not that.

I removed the O ringin case that had swollen and was not permitting proper closure but that made zero difference.

I have friends with the same issue. Stihl need to do a recall of all plugs.

Has anyone gotten any resolution to this? Do they still use this same design.

I am so angry and frustrated it isn't even funny.

What a lousy design. Husquavarna here I come.....

HI I have the same issue on my ms 250. However I have found that if you hold the bottom side of the cap and rotate the top of cap counterclockwise to "unwind" the locking feature, and then put it on lining up the tabs as it goes onto the saw, push all the way in, then rotate clockwise, it will work.

They should have left it alone.

But the problem happens if you miss the engagement and "wind" the top half of the cap clockwise without engaging all the way into the tank. Once than happens the top and bottom of the cap are misaligned and you can't get it in!

I have a ms250 I am on my third oil cap and second gas cap. going to the dealer in the morning and get a new oil cap. it cost me a weekends work so far.

#219559

I use a MS230 at work that has the new design oil/gas caps. They were tricky too get on, but suddenly the oil cap would not go on at all.

Took saw back to the dealer he said they were having lots of problems with new caps, he give me a new one. Used the new one one time samething oil cap would not go into place. Took saw back again, dealer give me a new one.

I agree 100% Stihl should go back to the old caps! I do not think I would buy a Sthil for my own until they change it back.

i have a fs 110 and i have no problems with taking the caps on and off i also have a ms 460 with the same cap design if u lol theirs 3 knobs on the bottom 2 the same and the other slightly bigger look into the gas/oil tank and theres 3 groves 2 the same size the other slightly bigger and then match them up and push the cap down then turn clockwise and flip the lever down and dont worry youll get it it jus take a min to get used to