1.3

Bought saw 3/7/17 used less than 2 hours (on and off). The saw wouldn't start back up.

Had to take it in for repair 3/11/2017. Store manager said it was my husbands fault (said he ran the saw with chain break on, my question to him is how is that even possible?), "not sure how that could be this is a safety issue", husband got upset, manager threaten to toss him out, so I calmed him down and I spoke with (clueless Rural King store manager) to ensure our saw would get fixed, at that point manager said we would have to pay a lot to fix it and it could take weeks to fix ... My reply: Okay, so fix our 4 day old $400.00 worthless Stihl saw. Two days later, Stihl service guy called said chain break burned up, chain barely looks worn, not sloppy so this is a chain break defect and that guy is trying to get Stihl to replace the parts under warranty, as this is not a user error.

I'm kinda freaked out this could even happen so I wanted my husband to move up to model number MS 291. Upon a search (MS291 ISSUES) I see the 291 has had the exact issue from back in 2014!

Stihl has known about this issue for 3 years, has done nothing to correct the issue, keeps selling these saw with a safety issue! This is dangerous....

Review about: Stihl Ms 271 Farm Boss Chainsaw.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I didn't like: Safety issue knew about this issue for at least three years.

Comments

Pretty simple. Chain brakes are NOT parking brakes.They reduce kickback injuries in case of kick back.

PERIOD. If the saw is properly tuned the chain will NOT turn at idle so there is no reason to have the brake on. What likely happened is you started the saw in the "throttle lock" postion (which is appx 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to make it easier to start) and then NEGLECTED to kick it down to idle which disengages the clutch and left the brake on while you walked away and did something.What did this do. Caused the clutch to try and turn a clutch drum at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle while being braked creating enough heat to melt parts.

No more complicated than putting your car in PARK and holding your foot on the throttle.

DUH.Damage is going to occur.NOT a warranty issue. Some people are just not smart enough to even be attempting to run a chainsaw.40+ yr Silver Certified STIHL tech.